Thursday, April 10, 2008

Chapter 20 - Part 4

The scroll in Thomas’ hand crumpled into ash and light, and he concentrated on the gate again. “This one has a magical alarm as well,” Thomas said to Orphan. “But I can find no other magic.” They stood at a service gate that was over ten feet in height, made of an unknown polished metal carved with hundreds of leering demonic faces.

“That’s the third one,” the warforged observed. “I think we can assume that any other gate will be similarly locked and warded.” They were on the southwest corner of the city, a quarter-mile from the gigantic main gates on the western side of the city that they had not dared approach.

“There is much background evil, but no one specific in range,” Flamebearer added. “It is as we surmised. The city is not guarded past the storm, but guards can be summoned.”

Orphan nodded. “Are you sure you can climb the wall, Delegado?”

The half-orc, who had deliberately turned his back on Flamebearer, smiled as he put the gloves on his hands and special crampons on his feet. “I’ll haul everyone up, then use my dragonmark to find your headband, which hopefully is near the prisoner. My new dragonmark ability will help me find the best path in.”

“And you can’t just find the prisoner,” the warforged said.

“Right,” the half-orc said. “We have no description for me to follow. I’m betting that the central tower is our eventual location, though.”

Orphan shuddered. The screams issuing from the tower could still be heard, even if only faintly. They had been going non-stop since the companions had first gotten past the roar of the storm. “Then it looks like someone stays with the horses, we can’t get them over the wall.”

“I am not staying behind,” Flamebearer said. “I cannot. I have a duty.”

Delegado said nothing, but made a face that said what he was thinking very clearly. He didn’t trust the bugbear enough to leave her alone with their mounts.

“Delegado has to go because it’s his dragonmark that’s going to find things for us,” Orphan said to Thomas. “You’ve got some invisibility and veiling scrolls left, and you’re the only one that can use them. Do you mind protecting our mounts?”

“You don’t need to be so worried about my feelings,” Thomas grinned. “I have no desire to walk within that city, and in any event, you are our leader. I will stay with the mounts and use the scrolls to hide our presence.”

“I suggest that you get to the northern side of the city wall,” Delegado said to Thomas, checking the knot on the silk rope. He held out the grappling hook and clicked his tongue. Feather jumped off the half-orc’s shoulder and grabbed the grappling hook in his claws. The hawk quickly ascended on his strong wings. “I’d rather leave the city from a different point than when we came in. Someone may follow our trail back to the way we came in somehow.” He grinned at Orphan. “If that’s okay with you, boss.”

“Why not east?” Orphan asked. “That’s closer to the Icehorn Mountains.”

“The lull will be past there by the time this is over,” Delegado said. “It’s moving counter-clockwise.”

“Any particular location?” Thomas asked the half-orc.

Delegado shook his head. “No, I’ll use my locate person ability on you when we get in that area.” The half-orc looked at Orphan again. “Seriously, you okay with the plan?”

“I trust your judgement on how to use your dragonmark,” Orphan said dryly. He was glad to see a half-smile briefly appear on Delegado’s face. “I’m going to hang onto the oil that lets me climb like a spider, however. If you can pull me up it will save its use. Then once I’m up there I can help you pull up –”

“Whoever you decide,” Delegado said, jumping up onto the wall and beginning his ascent.

“I wish to pray first for our succcess,” said Flamebearer before Delegado could get out of range of her words.

“I may take a sh’pash once I’m halfway up, so watch where you stand,” Delegado called down.

“I would like to pray with you,” Thomas said softly. Something unintelligible but undeniably sarcastic drifted down from the climbing half-orc.

“And you, Orphan?” the bugbear asked him.

“I wish you luck with your prayer,” the warforged said, starting to prepare the potions that he would drink once on top of the wall. He didn’t mean for it to sound sarcastic, but Flamebearer looked disappointed in him.

No comments: