Sunday, April 13, 2008

Chapter 20 - Part 11

They walked for another hour past the nest of worms, and amazingly there were no other encounters. The shaft was exactly where Delegado said it would be, and they jumped it easily. The parts that they had to squeeze past were also where Delegado said they would be, and they too were easily bypassed. Orphan worried aloud about how effortless this was, and Delegado told him to count his blessings. Ois praised the Silver Flame, but Delegado made no comment to that, other than theorizing that perhaps something near the Labyrinth had distracted the fiends.

They came to where the sewer line collapsed. About ten feet before it was old rubble, there was another grate in the ceiling that let in a weak light.

Orphan put a finger to his mouth, imitating the shushing gesture, and crept up to the grate. He listened for a minute, and then returned. “There’s a conversation going on between two people in the language of the fiends,” Orphan said. “Plus there are several more footsteps. The fiends are not bothering to hide their presence in the plaza.”

“This is where they can reveal their true faces, and they can revel in their nature,” Ois said. She looked at Delegado. “It is very hard for someone who can change shape to ever feel totally at ease. I have only felt that way with you, back in the day, and when I am in deepest prayer with the Flame.”

“This isn’t exactly the time for you two to work out your relationship details,” Orphan said. “We need to figure out how to get into that tower.”

“I was merely explaining why I understood the mind-set of the Lords of Dust,” she said. “I have studied them in detail.”

Orphan and Delegado looked at each other, and Orphan could tell he and Delegado were thinking of the same thing. “How well?” Delegado asked Ois.

“What do you mean?” she asked.

“Do you speak their language?” Orphan asked.

“No,” she replied, shaking her head. “I can try to infiltrate them, but they are likely to hail me, and I would be caught.”

“How close were they to the grate?” Delegado asked.

“Close enough,” Orphan said. “We need a distraction.” He reached into Ois’ pouch and helped himself to a sunrod. “I’ll head back down to the grate that was right before that crack in wall. You two wait here. I’ll go up in the city and start making noise. They’ll come after me, you get in the tower.”

“Orphan, they’ll kill you,” Delegado said.

“I can run faster than they can,” Orphan told him. “We all have our part to play, like you said. I’ll draw them away, you and Ois go in. I assume that you remember where the hidden door is, and that I’ve given you enough information about the headband to find it.”

“If it’s in there,” Delegado said. “If my mark works in there.”

“I’ll see you again, Delegado. I don’t plan to get caught. I’ll meet you at the north wall of the city.” He turned to go.

“Orphan,” Delegado said, his voice breaking. Feather shifter on Delegado’s shoulder, the bird looking pained as well.

Orphan turned back to face the half-orc. “You’ve been a good friend, Delegado, and you’re a good man. May that which watches over us bless you and protect you.”

“I’ve had too many friends die,” Delegado said. “You come to that wall, because I will wait for you until you come. Even if I have to send Ois over it with the information to Thomas. I will wait for you until you come.”

“Then I had best not get caught,” Orphan said.

“Flame bless you,” Ois said softly.

“Traveler favor his chance to you,” Orphan retorted, and not kindly.

No comments: