Monday, February 18, 2008

Chapter 15 - Part 6

Outside in the sunlight Delegado turned and accosted Orphan as soon as they were down the street from the Warden’s building. “Why did you have to open your yap about Thomas?”

“I think it is immoral to lie, and I am not very good at it,” Orphan said. “Why did you upset that half-orc with the pine tree on his face? He was most vexed.”

“You really are an idiot, you know that?”

“For an idiot I got you what we sought, it is because of my request that Oalian will see us tomorrow morning. He was originally going to see us at noon.”

“Oh yeah, that matters,” Delegado grumbled. “Look, I don’t want Thomas’ nature being spread around. There are Gatekeepers here.”

“I noticed. I also noticed that Pienna gave him a token.”

“That and five silvers will get you a goblin’s wine. Look, I don’t want it waved around. It gives Brogan another weapon to use against me.”

“You still think Brogan is here to attack Tharashk?”

“Yes! And don’t start slandering Greoche again!” Delegado growled.

“I would advise you to hold your temper so that we do not get arrested twice,” Orphan said coolly. He also shifted his weight somewhat.

Delegado sighed and made himself calm down. He liked Orphan, he really did, but the warforged could be maddeningly stubborn. “Look, you’re right, I should calm down. It’s not your fault anyway, you really don’t know anything about the world.”

“Your attempts at making peace leave something to be desired.”

“Well, you’ll have to take what you can get. Come on, we have work to do.”

“‘We’?”

Delegado blinked. “Yes, we. Is there something I should know?”

“How long do you think I’m going to put up with this galig?” Orphan asked.

Delegado was speechless. He didn’t think the warforged knew any swear words.

“I haven’t been alive as long as you have,” Orphan continued. “I haven’t traveled as much as you have. But I know that one learns by listening, and one can only see if his eyes are open.”

“Poetic,” Delegado said. “Orphan, I know my House and you don’t. Why are we still talking about this?”

“Because I need to know what you want!” Orphan snapped.

“What I want?” Delegado repeated, raising an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”

“Do you want to do this quest properly or do you want to relieve your boredom?” Orphan demanded. “Do you want an amen chorus or do you want my honest opinion? Do you want to keep an eye out for possible dangers or do you want to be comfortable?”

Delegado stuck his lower lip out and thought. “Hm. I’ll tell you what I want.”

“What?” The warforged, who had always been calm and unflappable, seemed to be spoiling for an argument.

“I want to know what those two Valenar elves are doing watching us.”

No comments: