Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Chapter 7 - Part 9

“You’re doing great,” Delegado told Meddin. “We’re almost there. Keep talking to the elemental.”

“Aye,” Meddin coughed. “Dinna worry, keelin’ over in Sharn after pushin’ t’idjit water thing for two days is nae in the cards.”

“Good,” the half-orc said. “We’ll dock, House Lyrandar and House Tharashk will come, heal us, get everything stowed away, unload cargo and belay lines and all that sailor stuff. You owe me a drink when you’re all patched up, don’t forget.”

“Heh,” Meddim coughed. “And yer birdie, there. Jack says yon duster was tearin’ at t’back of Riedran’s head when he got on deck. Kept – kept the fella’s head magic from – from –”

“You told me,” Delegado said. “Sh, relax. Save your strength. We’re almost there.”

“Is – a – good – birdie,” Meddin said. The half-elf would have rolled over and collapsed if Delegado hadn’t been holding him upright.

“Yeah, he is,” the half-orc agreed. “I got mind blasted to unconsciousness, and Feather then attacked the Riedran so that he couldn’t use his stuff on Jak when Jak came topside. You told me the whole thing. So did Jak. Relax.” The human turned to see if everything was all right at the mention of his name. “Everything is fine Jak, just discussing your swordwork.”

“It’s only because of Feather that I slipped the blade under his helmet and into his neck,” Jak said modestly. Every time the subject came up Jak would demur and give credit to the hawk. Delegado couldn’t tell if the human was very modest or just in awe of the bird.

“How long must I broadcast my identity and the details of the Riedrans?” Equilibrium called back.

“About a week,” the half-orc told him. “We’ve been through this.”

“Yes,” the psiforged said. “The Riedrans will stop trying to kill you for knowing about me if the entire world has heard about me because it would be a pointless waste of resources. I know. My worry is about leaving too clear a trail for them to follow, for they will still try to capture me.”

“One, you’ll hang around in the areas under the city,” he told the psiforged, for not the first time. “The heavy rock will block most detection spells. Two, I will see to it that House Tharashk refuses any contracts that involve you.” Any more contracts, in any event. “Three, it wouldn’t hurt to make them think you have decided to live in Sharn permanently. This place is so big that you could hide here for years, or hitch another underwater ride on another ship if you change your mind.”

“Yes,” the psiforged said. “I just wish I had a more specific plan.”

“You’re the one that pointed out if I know your specific plan some Riedran mind-mage can lift it from me without my knowledge,” Delegado said testily. “We’ll get to Sharn and you’ll disappear.”

“I understand how eager you are to get rid of me,” the psiforged responded tartly.

“Good,” the half-orc muttered. He then looked at the dirty, restrained Marcuiss. The hobgoblin was sleeping. “Be glad to get rid of you, too,” Delegado said. “Goblins and warforged are two groups I hope to never deal with again.”

No comments: