Thursday, January 31, 2008

Chapter 12 - Part 2

The sparrow returned to Pienna’s outstretched hand, eyeing the hawk on Delegado’s shoulder warily. Pienna soothed it, and Delegado clicked the ‘stand down’ command to Feather several times, and finally the bird spoke to the druidess.

“Well?” Tippish asked, stopping his directing for the moment.

“It worked,” Pienna said. “The dryad did as I asked, at great risk to herself I may add, and she successfully identified the leader. He fell prey to her mental manipulations, and they have stopped their march. They are digging in.”

“How long do we have?” Chubat asked.

“It depends,” she said. “Once his fortifications are complete he may have cause to rethink. From what I have seen of other warforged behavior, from what I have read of Cannith’s basic military instruction, I suspect an hour, perhaps two, before their officer begins to decide.” She looked at the sky. “And then it will be almost exactly mid-afternoon. He will probably decide to strike while his forces can still see.”

“I call it an hour and a-half,” said a woman named Brella. She was Vuchen’s younger sister, and the new Vadalis manager. “Just from what I’ve heard from Deneith people about their tactics.”

“An hour and a-half it is then,” sighed the mayor.

“I would be surprised if this was the only force,” Chubat said, staring at the map that they had hastily drawn in the dirt next to the still-smoking wreck of the inn. “Didn’t that farmer, Armand, say he had a goat with a javelin wound? Anyone heard from that goblin goat herder? The one who works way north?”

“I met him today,” Thomas said.

“Did you leave him alive?” Chubat asked.

“Chubat!” Pienna said.

“Yes,” was Thomas’ reply. “But I met him much earlier in the day, before the attack. He was fine then.”

“You’re thinking pincer maneuver, sir dwarf?” the Brelish ambassador asked. Loud the man might be, but he was proving to be a fine tactician in this conversation.

“You’re thinking right,” Delegado said. He sent Feather up in the air, clicking his tongue. The bird went north. “I have one more spell that lets me speak with animals left for today,” the half-orc explained. “They can’t hide from a hawk’s eyes, he’ll spot them if they’re there.”

“You cast spells?” the warforged asked.

“Live as long with the land as I do, and you pick up something,” Delegado grinned.

“Something,” Pienna said with a smile. “Alright, we have to deal with the warforged force before ninety minutes pass. Missy, Chubat, and Thomas will come with me. We’ll see what we can do with them. I have several spells of my own that I may be able to use.” She patted a bulging pouch. “And I have several scrolls that I have been saving for an emergency.”

“That wizard struck the inn to get you, didn’t he?” Mayor Tippish said.

“And the halfling,” Thomas said. His stormstalk nodded in agreement.

“Yes on both counts,” she said. “Although why Aundair cared about a Talenta prophet I do not know. Last night Drorin spoke of ‘weavers spinning weavers spinning weavers.’ I do not know what that meant.”

“How come you’re not taking me or the Orphan?” Delegado asked.

“In case we don’t come back,” she said. “And in case the force from the north is truly there and moves faster than expected, you two are to assist Brella and Tippish in defending this place. And in case there are any other bandits to the south like the ones you encountered.” She smiled at him. “It isn’t because I don’t appreciate you coming back.” He rolled his eyes at that. “Alright,” she continued. “Is everyone in agreement?” They all nodded. “Alright then,” she said, stroking her panther’s neck. “Let’s go.”

The druidess took the lead, with the half-daelkyr and the dwarf on either side of her, and the great cat following. The others watched them go, then got back to work. There were wounded to be tended to, fortifications to be built, and dead to be buried – if there was time.

No comments: